Monday, January 28, 2013

Weekend Update

 
A trip to Ikea for some pillow forms as recommended by my pal Kathy at Charm Bracelet Diva at Home, is always a dangerous thing for me to do and especially alone.  Dearest Hubby was on the west coast and I was home alone for the most part, and left to my own devices...a trip to Ikea could cost some big bucks.
I was good and only purchased this pretty candle holder.  It is perforated and lovely in the daylight but dazzles at night when you light a candle inside of it.


 
This is one of the pillows I needed to fill.  I bought this shabby chic brand pillow sham and tea stained it.  I am on a tea staining kick.  I'm really attracted to that cozy worn look you get with just a few tea bags and a stockpot filled with boiling water. 

 
I like it so much I stained some flour sack towels.  I printed some transfers and some labels for another project in the works.

I found this Pyrex canister.  I store craft things in this type of canister, though this is the first one I found with a yellow lid. They almost always have the harvest vegetable pattern.
They are cool because they stack, and that's one of my obsessions...stacking things...jars, suitcases, books, small cedar boxes...  Yes that is a Christmas tree...it's only January 28!

Wonky photo...I made some of these for Christmas...They are just English Lavender soap wrapped in vintage sheet music.  These will have a Valentine twist.  The scent of lavender is so strong you can just leave it out to freshen the powder room or as a drawer sachet and never need to unwrap.  Of course it is wonderful to use in the traditional way...with water. 


More tea stained goodies...


Remember the Christmas snowflake wreath?  This is the start of my Valentine version.
Pardon the mess. 

 
A few jars I thrifted.  The rusty lids sold me on these.

 
This crate/basket is perfect to hold a project or two.

Now that my sweetie is back home, I can relax.  Can I tell you a secret?  This last Friday was the first time I have ever spent the night alone...  EVER! I mean I am almost 58 years old!  Mike, who is rarely home but usually at least sleeps here... went and stayed with friends, and I was ALONE.  I went from my parent's house to living with my husband, to having children and managing never to spend the night by myself.
So now you might expect me to say how liberating it was, to do anything I wanted to do, to care for only myself...Well, NO!  I hated it.  I am no good alone.   I didn't smear jello on the stairs or anything, but I love the comfort of my husband, even a sleeping husband.  Or the sound of laughter from downstairs, or the low strum of Mike's bass, or better yet, to know that all the kids are home, filling all the rooms, the coat tree overflowing with coats... I told hubby, this may be his last trip alone...and he feels the same.  Sigh...

Downton Abbey was sooooo sad last might. Then we watched 2 hours about a giant squid...  Who say's we don't know how to have fun...;-)

The ice is melting and the sun was trying to come out.  Back to our regularly scheduled lives.  Have a great day my friends.


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Debby said...

Yes, I can believe it about never being alone. It was that way for me for a long time. Considering my children were space so far apart. 40 to 26, the last being adopted and not part of our plan. But I have spent several now alone and I can do it. My poor hubby has had to do more with my trips to Colorado to see the kids.
You have lots of projects going on. Glad your hubby is home now and things will get back to normal. Now if the weather would cooperate. (((((HUGS))))

Lynne said...

Happy hubby is home . . . for you, for both of you.

I learned at a younger age, to be alone. Now, in my older age, I can be okay being alone.

HOWEVER . . . I like it best when I can hear Snickers little license tag jingling from her collar in the distance and Jack rustling his papers in his office upstairs plus the warmth of sitting together in a room reading, tv watching, being quiet together.

Love the filagree candle holder . . . very pretty . . .

Melanie said...

Hi Penny, so nice to meet you. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It's hard for me to imagine not having a night alone in almost 58 years, but I can certainly understand that you didn't like it since that's not what you're accustomed to! I went straight from my parent's house to be married, too - and I've been a little over 28 years. (I'm 50.) It's rare that I have an entire night to myself, but my husband at one time used to work the midnight shift. That was really hard.

Anonymous said...

Слушай, чувак, а ты издревле этой темой запимаешься? Беспричинно подробно совершенно рассказал! Даже что-то новость узнал. Благодарность)))) [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-svoimi-rukami/75-stroitelstvo-svoimi-rukami.html]косметический ремонт квартир[/url]

Lynn said...

Good morning Penny. I hear things that go bump in the night when I am home alone. Like you, it’s best to stay away from the shops when left on my own. Suddenly I need everything I see. I go through phases too. I find one process I love and everything gets the same treatment. Usually it’s a new color of spray paint. The whole yard almost ended up sprayed persimmon one year when I’d gone to buy a sedate terra cotta color.

Our Hopeful Home said...

So how many pillow forms did you buy? It sounds like you were incredibly good. Much moreso than I could ever be at Ikea!

I probably wouldn't like being alone either (can't believe I just said that!). Hey, I just started watching DA this season and I'm already behind.....we taped the giant squid show for my son, he started watching it today:)