Thursday, April 11, 2013

If April Showers, bring May flowers...

 
We are gonna have a truckload of flowers.  Days of rain with no end in sight can be pretty depressing...

So...I've been busy with some small girls, just back from a train ride to the great state of Colorado.  They were so happy to be home...all cuddly and hungry.  We watched movies...well, movies played in the background of our other activities.  Cutting paper, writing tiny books...taking all the cushions off the sofas and jumping and lounging on them.  When I thought that they had had enough movies, I played the Pocahontas soundtrack.  The little bird did an interpretive dance and remembered that Pocahontas was on Netflicks. (She is four and technology is second nature to her.)  I try to keep the mayhem confined to the family room and kitchen area...but off we went to the living room.  The little bug had cheerios everywhere and kept handing me Penny's photos from around the room.  These are not complaints, it was the best day I've had since sweet p. left last week.  I love spending time with these amazing girls...and I love being Auntie Penny..."The best Auntie Penny in the whole world!"  says the little bird.  How blessed I am.

Well... I was supposed to have company today.  Sweet Melanie of Comfy House was supposed to come by for lunch.  (I warned her about the cheerios;-)  Early this morning, Mr. Comfy House woke up to find their basement flooded!  Their sump pump failed!  Oh the work.  We have been in their place too many times. Only once in this house, but every spring in Chicago.  When storm water fills the sewers in Chicago, it has no place to go except back into your basement.  The deep tunnel project has since remedied this problem, or so I hope for the poor souls that now live in our family home on the NW side.  I lost my inheritance in a flood in Chicago.  My Mom, a simple woman, left me skeins and skeins of yarn when she passed so many years ago.  Imagine boxes and boxes of yarn, totally saturated with storm water, at least you hope it's just storm water!  This was in the days before the Rubbermaid totes! Yuck.  So my sympathies go to Mel and her dear hubby.  You have a standing invitation for lunch whenever you are able.  Please be careful!

The house is clean, except for the random cheerio, and I'm getting things done.  Hope your sump pump is working...I can hear the kick of mine every few minutes if I listen for it.  The rain won't last forever and I am expecting FLOWERS!  Have a great day my friends and thanks for stopping by.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Jill said...

I'll take your rain if you'll take my snow. ;)

Sounds like such a fun day with the girls. Lucky you. Lucky them.

So sorry about your friends troubles.

Melanie said...

Hi Penny, it's me, poor Mrs. Comfy House, lol. I am "hiding" in my living room with my coffee (which is now cold) and laptop while the people from the restoration company are going in and out of my house with the door wide open (I'm freezing). Oh, the noise and the mess! I want to just dissolve in tears, but I'm holding it together. Thanks for your understanding ~ and so sorry I couldn't make it today. I'm so sick of this weather too, and we could've had such a nice time together today. xoxo

Lynne said...

The days of rain got to me today. And I said to self, "what the heck, take a nap". Woke up and it is STILL raining. So sorry about Melanie's flooding! I can't imagine . . .

Debby said...

Big storms here yesterday. we were to more today but so far just rain. Yes, let's hope we get flowers out of it. Actually I have more daffodils blooming this year.
I had the new baby that I am watching today. She is almost 3 months. So much fun. She comes with a little brother that wve to pick up at school. Only a few days a month. Nothing like children to cheer you up. I am feeling better but still coughing.