Monday, March 28, 2011

Weekend Fun, Using your Imagination...

I've tried to post this so many times this weekend...Picasa and Blogger won't play nice.  Please use your imagination...like the owl post.  ;-)  Please let me know if you are also having a problem. 
We had a great weekend, finally stopping at Mariano's Fresh Market in Arlington Heights at 802 East Northwest Highway. There's one in Vernon Hills  and soon to be one in Palatine. Their motto is, Shop Well, Eat Well, Live Well. I was able to take ONE photo before I was approached by a employee that gently told me there was no photography allowed in the store. He mumbled something about the competition...Well, I don't understand, really, because there is NO competition for what I saw. THIS STORE IS AMAZING! It's like one of those bustling markets you see on TV, in Seattle or Los Angeles. (Without the flying fish)  There was the biggest produce section, everything from hydroponically grown Boston lettuce, still growing it's in own little water pot, to a huge selection of organically grown fruits and vegetables.
If you are in the area, you've gotta go and see it. The bakery alone is worth the trip. My DH was in his glory with all the free samples. I wouldn't go back on a Saturday as it was so busy and crowded. Did I mention the piano player? I want to go back just for the live music. I thought that their prices were reasonable, and they had many items on sale. Did I mention friendly, with a funny guy in the deli. Cheese, wine, an olive bar...this is where photos could have told the story! If you get the chance, check it out.
We went to one of the first rummage sales of the Spring. I spent $5! There are a couple of items DH bought that aren't shown, I know...I did great. The french manufactured canister set was $1.50. I'd hoped that the letters would come off, but sadly they are permanent. For the price, I can play with them, and cover up the words with something pretty. The 2 ceramic planters are so cute and something I need right now for displaying spring plants. One has a crackle glaze and the larger is from Crate and Barrel. I rescued the small knitted afghan. It was covered in stains, but with a little oxy-cleaner and a good wash, the little bird has a pretty blankie for her babies. The tablecloth with the yellow print is beautiful...that may cover my table or my shoulders. Its big and Bohemian...you know where I'm going with this one... Nada Farm perhaps...

Then there's the English textbook. Me write pretty someday... Tomorrow, I'll post about meeting the lovely Barb from Babs Just a Babblin'. Have a great day dear friends.
 Looks like Spring here...feels like Winter!

1 comment:

tikascm said...

Don't go to Mariano's on a Sunday either, unless it is early in the morning or late, late afternoon. I fell in love with this store the first time I was there about 4 months ago on the urging of one of my Weight Watcher buddies. FANTASTIC PLACE!!!!! And the piano playing in the background is so loverly.